Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

94 years old and still preparing tax returns

PATAX
Level 15

A colleague and good friend is 94 years old and still has his own tax practice. CPA/EA and very knowledgeable. Just curious, does anyone else know of anyone of similar age that is still working in our profession? Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I heard he tried to save Lincoln after the theater visit by trying to get him to drink a little Fireball.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

15 Comments 15
IRonMaN
Level 15

I personally don't know of anyone even close to that.  The other part you are missing is the conversion.  Tax preparers age faster than the rest of the population, so you have to do a conversion like you do for dogs.  Factoring that in, he is still doing taxes at 135 years old - that's really impressive.

Oh, I almost forgot ----------- Bob.  Based on his stories, isn't he close to 94 now? 😜

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Does he use ProSeries?

IRonMaN
Level 15

If he does, does Intuit give him a senior citizens discount?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

My ex employer finally retired in 2015, he was 86, reviewing the returns he prepared after I took over the client base, it became obvious he should have retired long before that.  

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

Yes he uses Pro Series. When he first started he used a different company that was then bought out by Pro Series. 

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

always nice to see another Intuit customer. 

PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN yes they give him a discount: the goose egg discount.😉

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm surprised they don't charge him more ------------- I thought maybe Intuit went to the life expectancy tables to calculate his price.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN Too bad Brother Cooley isn't around here anymore. He prepared his first income tax return when Abraham Lincoln was president.😉

IRonMaN
Level 15

I heard he tried to save Lincoln after the theater visit by trying to get him to drink a little Fireball.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

🤣🤣🤣

BobKamman
Level 15

Warren Buffett turned 94 last month. I think he has someone else doing his returns, though.

I ask myself regularly if I'm mentally and physically sharp enough to keep doing tax returns.  But I also ask if that will be true, two years from now, when clients may need help with IRS notices and audits concerning returns I prepared this year.  The decision of when to retire is never an easy one.  

clr600
Level 8

I am 84. Age is just a number.

IRonMaN
Level 15

It is, but after awhile you need to start shopping for bigger birthday cakes to fit all of the candles.😀

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN The last time Brother Cooley tried to blow out his birthday candles, his dentures flew out.😉😀