Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 efile opening day

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has announced the estimated start date for filing taxes 2024.

TRAVERSE CITY, MI, US, November 17, 2023 / -- The start of a new year always brings with it the anticipation of tax season. Many taxpayers are curious about when they can file their tax returns for the year 2023.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has announced the estimated start date for filing taxes in 2024, and taxpayers can look forward to submitting their returns earlier than in previous years.

According to the IRS, the estimated start date for filing 2023 taxes is January 18, 2024. It's important to note that this date may be subject to change, but it's unlikely to be pushed back.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds good to me! a bit earlier than past.. less last minute tax code changes and more IRS staff should help.

7 Comments 7
PATAX
Level 15

I do not have any plans on preparing a return that early. I'm not going to prepare a return and then have to change it because the client subsequently received a 1099 or something else that they claim they didn't know they were going to receive. I don't have time for that.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

understood. i have some clients that literally have a single W-2.  I may do a return like that.. but generally it is a good sign if the IRS does open up efiling on that earlier date.

IRonMaN
Level 15

That’s good news for ProSeries users.  That means they can transmit their first 100 completed returns at 12:00:01 that morning.😉

Slava Ukraini!
Taxprohere
Level 7

It also means I can efile a few prior year returns signed and waiting to be sent.

dkh
Level 15

I agree with you, @PATAX   I won't do a 2023 return that early.  Clients have a hard time accepting the fee to redo a return for adding another W2.

I agree with @Taxprohere  - that will be great for getting some older stuff efiled and out of here finally.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

just efiled 2023 W-2s for one my clients, on december 18!.. earliest ever for w-2 filing for me.  SSA BSO is accepting 2023 submissions.  also efiled some 1099s.. first year ever for me on efiling the 1099s. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

But what happens later when they decided to write one last bonus check on 12/31? 😜

Slava Ukraini!