Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040X for filing status

Brainstrom
Level 4

I had a new client referred to me by one of my existing clients. She came to me legally separated with a restraining order of no contact with her spouse. She wanted to claim HOH so I did. The tax return is under review since March 5th, I assume because of the filing status change and her husband has not filed a return.

They came to me yesterday saying, we are back together and want to amend our return and file MFJ. Wow right. The IRS notice says do nothing for 60 days while we are reviewing the return. My gut says just wait and do nothing. THOUGHTS

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

"THOUGHTS"

Fire them as clients and fire the client that referred them to you.  Tell them the crazy train doesn't run through your part of town any longer.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

You hit the nail on the head Iron Man. Crazy indeed. That is why I do not like to get involved with that type of crap and nonsense. Had that happen years ago with a couple that were on and off . The girl called me one day at 11 at night with some b*******, and that was the last straw, and I fired both of them. Felt real good after that.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Brainstrom wrote:

She came to me legally separated

Thought #1:  Legal Separation is rather uncommon.  Are you SURE they are were legally separated?

Thought #2:  For tax purposes, Legal Separation is treated as NOT married.  So MFJ is not an option.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

((I assume because of the filing status change and her husband has not filed a return.))

not a good assumption… lots of reasons returns get stuck…. I wouldn’t do a thing til the return is released or criticized… you can always call preparers hot line… see @TaxGuyBill post to be sure what’s really going on 

…. but at the end of the day, I’d vote to fire them

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround