Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1031 Exchange

acitrola
Level 2

I do my best to avoid tax topics which I am not proficient in.  Once in a while I cannot dodge the return.

I am working on a partnership return (2 partners.) involving an exchange.  ALL 1031 requirements have been met.

The partnership owned a two family residence which was sold.  The proceeds were directly sent to the fiduciary agent handling the exchange.  On form 8824, I assume I am only reporting the cash that was transferred and report nothing on the basis of the residence sold?  For this example, let's say there was  no gain.  

Second question, the two K-1's are reporting gains as if there was no 1031 or form 8824.  Besides the entire forest, what am I missing here?

Thank you!

Regards,

Anthony

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
BobKamman
Level 15

Was this a rental property?

You would report the exchange on Form 8824 with the partnership return.  So no, you would be reporting a lot more than just the cash that was transferred.

acitrola
Level 2

Hi Bob,

Yes, it was a rental property.  I did commence form 8824.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Was the exchange completed in the tax year?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
acitrola
Level 2

Yes, during 2023.

All within time limits.

George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@acitrola wrote:

On form 8824, I assume I am only reporting the cash that was transferred and report nothing on the basis of the residence sold?  For this example, let's say there was  no gain.  

Second question, the two K-1's are reporting gains as if there was no 1031 or form 8824. 

The 8824 will show the gain (realized gain), which requires the Basis of the sold property.  It will also calculate how much of that gain is deferred versus the amount of the taxable gain (recognized gain).

If there was no gain (realized gain), there would not have been any purpose in doing a 1031 exchange.  The purpose of a 1031 exchange is to defer the gain and only pay tax on the taxable/recognized gain (if any).

Only the taxable/recognized gain will show up on the K-1s.  The deferred/non-recognized gain does not show up on the K-1s.