Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries software mistake in stimulus payment calculation when you delete the first dependent in the list

I think there's a serious error in ProSeries, on the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet.  By accident, I found out that if you delete the first child in the dependent list, and leave that spot empty, the software will count that empty space where the child was when computing the amount of stimulus the taxpayer should have received.  It's now happened twice to me.  In both cases, I deleted the oldest child since that child was no longer a dependent.  With that child listed, the software computed the stimulus correctly.  In both cases, the child was too old to have qualified the parent for any stimulus for that child.  But when I deleted the child, and left the top space empty in the list of dependents, the software immediately added another $500 for the first stimulus and $600 for the second stimulus, as if a child under 17 were in that spot.  If I move a younger dependent into that open spot, it calculates correctly.  But if you leave that top spot empty it has the error.  It's annoying because you're generally going to be deleting the oldest child, if any, and they're generally at the top.  Is there some sort of mechanism to copy all of the other dependents upward one spot to fill in that blank?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11
While on the line on the information worksheet for the dependent you want to delete, right click and delete.   That will get rid of that line and move everything up a line.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
TAXOH
Level 11
While on the line on the information worksheet for the dependent you want to delete, right click and delete.   That will get rid of that line and move everything up a line.

Great tip, and thank you!  They should still fix the glitch, however.

PATAX
Level 15

Render unto Caesar, I like your username...IC XC NI KA

Tomassa
Level 2

You are correct.

This should not happen. I deleted two dependents and filed the return before  I noticed the error.

A call to ProSeries they indicated I must delete the line in the dependent input table Their was no indication that this is an error that will be corrected.

I am waiting for IRS to process return, then I will see if IRS catches the error or I will have to amend the return.

Thank you!  My wife came up with it.  I bought a replica tribute penny because it just seemed appropriate.

Whether they want to admit it or not, it's definitely an error!  Empty boxes should not be eligible for stimulus money.  FIX IT, Intuit.