Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries Error Message - "Encountered an improper argument'

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

Brian_Christian
Employee
Employee

Thank you for the confirmations. If in fact you did install this update and your issue was not fixed, I would say this wasn't your issue. The error in this thread specifically is about receiving an error during save "Encountered an improper argument" in Windows 11 with a specific Windows 11 update. 

Brian

0 Cheers
Jonesin1
Level 4

Revert back to Windows 10

0 Cheers
DAKellerIA
Level 1

Brian,

I don't know if anyone else has reported this, but the 2023-5 advanced Window 22H2 update can cause issues similar to the 22H2 update on ProSeries versions prior to 2022.

I installed it on a number of machines, one of the machines would not save the file or print from the file until after I uninstalled the update.

It seems to be working fine on other boxes, so it again is some type of intermittent issue.

Thank you.

0 Cheers
dkeller496
Level 3

Brian,

The latest update to Windows 11 2023-06 Cumulative Update Version 22H2 for x64, is causing pre 2022 versions of ProSeries to 'freeze' when attempting to print a return, or to save on exit - it just sits 'not responding' and requires a forced closing of the software.  ProSeries Version 2022 is working as it is supposed to.

I'm replying to the 22H2 update string since this seems to likely be a similar issue with the 2023-06 update.

For reference, the issue doesn't exit prior to the 2023-06 update and uninstalling the 2023-06 update did NOT restore functionality.  When I did the 'early' release 2023-06 update it caused this issue and uninstalling that update DID restore functionality.

Thank you.

0 Cheers
FredB
Level 2

I tried it on 2020 and 2021 and it has once again started crashing everytime you save.  Which makes each of those year unusable.

JeromeLeventhal
Level 3

A status update on this issue and some timeline would be very helpful. We have prior year returns that need to be filed. Penalties and interest will continue to accrue for clients if we are unable to get the returns completed and filed. Thank you.

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JeromeLeventhal 

The unexpected behavior you have experienced regarding Windows 11 update and Prior year programs has been reported and currently being researched. 

If you're able to send us the log files it'll help us find the root cause. Open up your ProSeries TY21 application, and click help, then Send Logs. This will create a log file on your desktop. Please E-Mail this log file to proseries_engineering@intuit.com so we may continue to investigate this unexpected behavior. 

Closing this discussion, follow up on this thread for updates on what might be related: Windows 11 updates 2021 not saving 

0 Cheers