Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing & Filing K-2 & K-3

steve5
Level 4

I've taken multiple seminars for the 2023 filing season.  The IRS election exception is very difficult to meet, so ALL seminar presenters advised to just file the K-2 & K-3 even if it doesn't have anything on it.  

What do we need to do in the software to accomplish this?  I have many small partnerships and s-corps that don't have any foreign activity, but I have just a few that I don't prepare the 1040s for the partners and s-corp members.  If they pay >$300 in foreign taxes, the exception doesn't apply and the K-2 K-3 must be filed.  There is no way to know if the other partners have >$300 in foreign taxes, so filing the K-2 K-3 (even with $0s) should cover us.

I understand this is early in the filing season, but I wanted to get this out there so the programmers can get everything correct.

3 Comments 3
JRC
Level 8

You should notify all shareholders about the K2 - K3 filings and request they respond to you whether they require filing Form 1116. I was able to send a statement to all Partners and Shareholders last December and am now waiting on responses from them. I see it problematic to file Blank K2's and K3's amounts still need to be entered.  

JRC
Level 8

Unfortunately I haven't found much help to properly complete these correctly from the numerous seminars I have attended. I will probably have to no longer file returns for certain clients or risk penalties.

0 Cheers
Dusty2
Level 7

If you review the K-2 you will see that you report both US information and Foreign information.  So, unless the partnership has no income or expenses, you have information to report.

0 Cheers