Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passive loss rental

MGC94
Level 7

Can tax payer who actively participates take a passive loss on rental. He chooses tenant. Does all the repairs. Is not a realtor. Thanks

0 Cheers
16 Comments 16
sjrcpa
Level 15

He can deduct up to $25,000 losses depending on his modified AGI and filing status. Form 8582 shows the calculations.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
maybe, what are YOU seeing?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MGC94
Level 7

MFJ line 1 wages $133,201 line 4d pension $69,277 line 7 -$20,372. Total income $182,106 adjustment to income $250 AGI $181,856   

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Sorry pal, no PAL. 🙂  AGI is over $150K so you're beyond the phase-out range.

Isn't line 7 capital gains?  How did you get beyond the -$3K limit on losses?

Rick

MGC94
Level 7

I got beyond $3,000 loss with passive activity clicked. When I un do it there isn't even a loss. It only says 0. Even though the loss was that amount. So if over $150,000 income you cant do passive loss 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Over $150K no $25K exception to the PAL rules. If there is a complete disposition in a taxable transaction suspended PALs associated with that activity are deductible. Basic IRC  Section 469.

Did you actually look at the 8582 and its worksheets? And the instructions?

Since you don't know this you definitely should.

Ex-AllStar
MGC94
Level 7

I do not get how pro series would put it through. It seems the income amount 

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

why won't it do the $3,000 at least? 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@MGC94 

Operating income/losses on real estate have NOTHING to do with capital gains/losses.

You are very confused on this issue. 

I suggest:

1) Find a mentor to help as you are doing a disservice to your client

2) Seek local professional advice if you are not a professional tax preparer.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

I may be complicit in this confusion.  Way back up there I read:

@MGC94 wrote:

MFJ line 1 wages $133,201 line 4d pension $69,277 line 7 -$20,372. Total income $182,106 adjustment to income $250 AGI $181,856   

but now it sounds like this was a passive activity loss (so probably "line 7" is just a typo which led us down the capital loss rabbit hole).  The passive loss would pass through Schedule 1 and end up on line 8 instead of line 7.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Rick... maybe... maybe not.

But the disconnect between $ 3000 capital loss & rental real estate income/loss/PIGS & PALS still exists.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

so if you dont take passive losses a rental can only come across as 0? 

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

PAL 101:

Passive losses are limited to passive income.

If AGI is low enough, passive losses from a real estate rental might be deductible up to $25,000.

Suspended passive losses get freed up when the activity is disposed of in a fully taxable transaction.  So quite often I see several years of suspended losses, followed by a big loss allowed in the same year that there is a capital gain on the sale of the real estate (I have one that came in Sunday that I haven't looked at yet!)

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

So am I correct in saying that line schedule 1 line 5 can only be 0 if the income is over $150,000? 

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

Would that be right only $0

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Yes, $0.  AGI is too high.