Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PA capital gains

Katheen
Level 1

Has anyone in PA noticed issues with capital gains not transferring over from the fed return correctly?  I just discovered one return with 2 major errors:

- 1 account didn't transfer at all (the numbers were reported at top of 1099B worksheet for short term covered sales on the fed)

- 1 account was tagged as joint on the fed, but was listed as just the taxpayer on PA; the account had losses that needed to offset the spouse's gains, so this was obviously an issue.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
PATAX
Level 15

Also double check the interest and dividends on the PA return, in addition to the capital gains on Schedule D....just my opinion...

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

PA doesn't allow netting of one spouse's losses with the other spouse's gains. A joint account is split 50-50 between the spouses.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Joint account has losses, split 50-50.

Spouse has her own account with gains. Half of the joint losses offset her gains.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Is your software up-to-date? It updated again today.

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Accountant man is right. That is why you have to make sure you use the taxpayer, spouse, or joint designation correctly....

0 Cheers
Katheen
Level 1

I am aware of this. But I have it marked joint on the fed and it transfers to PA as a taxpayer account, not joint. So Proseries is not transferring it to PA correctly.

0 Cheers