Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other state source income-if client sells his house in a state that doesn't have tax, does the state he moved to, tax the income on the sale?

Mike12321
Level 4

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Resident state will most likely tax all income...is this what youre asking?

Or did they sell the house in the non-tax state, then move out of that state?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Resident state will most likely tax all income...is this what youre asking?

Or did they sell the house in the non-tax state, then move out of that state?

0 Cheers
Mike12321
Level 4
Yes they sold the house in the non-tax state - so I was hoping that we could escape tax on the sale, there was unrecaptured 1250 gain.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
So you're only doing  a part year return for the state they moved to, right?  That income while in the state without tax shouldn't be taxed in the new state.

0 Cheers
Mike12321
Level 4
Yes!!! Thanks so much for confirming what I thought. --And answering so quickly.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Use the part year allocation worksheet at the bottom of the federal information worksheet to allocate the income to the correct states.

0 Cheers
Mike12321
Level 4
Thanks again! I have previously allocated income per months lived in each state for some income, so I believe I can do that again for RR pension, social security etc that doesn't indicate a state on the 1099.
0 Cheers