Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One month and one day to go

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

It does not look like we are going to get a free month this year so we indeed are "losing" a month this year.  I have already changed my voice mail to something like happy to take care of your 2021 returns but at this point I would have to to file an extension.  I have a few secret openings for special last minute clients that I keep a secret. 

4 Comments 4
dascpa
Level 11

I stopped accepting new 1040's back end of November.  Even dropped 75 clients.  Built that right back to where I was prior.  Can you handle my mom's return?  My sister just got divorced, etc.  I also have an "official" cutoff of last Sunday in March.  I will accept remaining data but will not start a new client (yeah, like that works too...).  I've never filed an individual extension because I couldn't get to it but I'm older (old) now and working forty-five 18 hours days in a row is just no longer possible.  I'll see about cutting that in half.  Not only that there is no day or night off between Xmas and the tax deadline so - - I'm tired.

BobKamman
Level 15

April 18 is just another spring day, except for those who have been brainwashed since childhood that "IRS looks more closely at returns filed with an extension."  This year at least, those with high anxiety have many other things to stress about, like rising sea levels, Ukraine and children's library books.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Well, since we are talking about the end of life as we know it ------------ how late can I file an extension on April 18th to have it considered timely filed?

Just thought I would throw that in before we get overwhelmed with "how late" questions that are looming on the horizon.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Depends on which island. Oahu or Guam?

Back when I worked at IRS the "big secret" was that the Service Centers didn't start looking at postmarks on returns until the week after the filing deadline.  I think they might have looked more closely at extension requests, though.  Of course that was back when Bob Newhart was still in his 40s and doing a network sitcom with Suzanne Pleshette (1937-2008).