Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NYC/LI Preparers

ljr
Level 8

I know this isn't a proseries question but a month ago my long time friend and employee passed away unexpectedly from cancer. It was bad enough losing a 30 year friend but then I also feel terrible that I need to get help for this tax season. I'm getting almost no responses to my job posts so if anyone knows of anyone looking for work or looking to downsize / work less / etc. in the NY city/LI area (obviously we use proseries professional so that would be a plus) please reach out to me. Or any advice other than indeed?

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.  To me, cancer is the scariest word in the dictionary.  It sounds like the tax world isn't exempt from finding folks to work like most other businesses these days.  Evidently somewhere during this whole COVID mess, aliens came down and picked up most of the folks that wanted to work.  Good luck on your search - I hope you find someone good to fill that position.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

There may be lots of people who want to work, just not for what you are offering.  Raise the pay -- are you advertising it, or at least indicating that it's competitive and then some?  And I suppose we have to assume that this is at your location, and involves dealing with the public.  How much of it could be done remotely? 

The biggest challenge for me has always been finding someone who accepts seasonal hours: full time part of the year, part time the rest of the year.  I have been fortunate, although I did lose one long-time employee to cancer and another to a lung transplant.  

Greta
Level 9

When my partner of 30 years died, I took over all his clients. By then, he was doing only about 100 files. I just worked nonstop for 3 months. I collaborate with another tax preparer who goes over all my completed returns to check for errors. Covid made things run more efficiently because it eliminated all the face-to-face meetings that turned into too much socializing.

ljr
Level 8

I am afraid that I'm going to have to try to add all her appointments to me and I already work non stop for the entire season. There are no more days in the week. (and my husband gets really upset when I don't stop for lunch - lol - but that's when you return phone calls - who needs to eat.) We are not having clients in the office and I agree it's wonderful that it does cut down on the "socializing". And my "floater" girl is pregnant and due mid -january so will be out on maternity (what tax preparer doesn't coordinate not to have a kid during tax season - really lol !

Greta
Level 9

If you are already working nonstop 24-7, perhaps this is the time to drop nonproductive clients--the ones who take too much time for what you can charge. Those who require too much babysitting. Or those that you just don't personally like. Or those who don't use email. You have a good reason for scaling back.

BobKamman
Level 15

I know exactly what you mean -- eliminating in-person appointments contributes to efficiency. But I'm not sure I can get away with it for more than one tax season.  Sometimes clients tell you things when "socializing" that you need to know, to prepare an accurate return and to give them planning advice. And sometimes they are more comfortable with asking tax questions, if they recognize you as a real person with a genuine interest in helping.

I have yet to decide what I will do next year, but I'm considering short appointments for those who want one -- 15 to 30 minutes -- either when clients drop off their stuff, or pick it up.  Masks required.  

BobKamman
Level 15

Train your clients that April 15 (April 18, this year) is just another spring day.  The world does not come to an end if their return is not filed by May 12 or June 23.  Tell them you don't charge more for your help getting them a 3% government loan.  If they don't think enough of you to accept an extension, let them go elsewhere that caters to brainwashed adherents to artificial deadlines.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I am going to repeat this past tax season.  If you really need to meet, I’ll meet.  I’m not going to encourage appointments but if they are coming in, don’t bother if they aren’t willing to wear a mask.

Slava Ukraini!
ljr
Level 8

We are following last years procedure for this season as well. We will keep it only staff in the office - no clients. You will have an appointment but we will be on the phone. You can chat with me all you like and do your socializing but just not sitting 3 feet across from me. Drop off at the door, mail it to me, portal - their choice. You still get me you just don't get to look at me. LOL.

Greta
Level 9

I totally agree. I spent most of the day consulting by phone instead of in person. In the evenings I prepared taxes & emailed clients. I found less need for front desk staff whose job was to make appointments and to chat up waiting clients. I cut back office hours to 10-4 M-F, reserved for dropping off tax papers. Clients organized their tax data much better than rifling papers at a face-to-face meeting. After 4 decades, I'm familiar with most of their tax lives anyway. For special situations, I did meet with clients briefly and at a masked distance. With the Omicron variant arriving, it's a good reason to continue same. I believe clients also like the new flexibility of dropping off tax stuff, they have busy lives too.