Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY Passive Loss and Non-Resident

msmith7305
Level 7

I have a Texas resident client who is a partner and received a K-1 for New York. The K-1 shows a $4,000 ordinary business loss that is passive. There are no other passive activities and he has no other New York source income or deductions. The $4,000 loss is not allowed for federal or NY purposes. The NY K-1, however, lists 2 modifications related to this K-1 that appear should be entered on Form IT-225. One is a NY addition modification of $2,000 and the other is a NY subtraction modification of $1,200 for a net positive modification of $800. These entries from the IT-225 flow through the return (IT-203 lines 22 and 29) to show a NY income of $800 and therefore a tax owed to NY.

This doesn't make sense to me as it seems like the modifications should be applied to reduce the $4,000 unallowed loss to a $3,200 unallowed loss. I am obviously not a NY expert and could use some guidance as to how to address this. Or, did I do it right to begin with?

0 Cheers