Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No will, just living trust, 1310 and electronic file?

treasur2
Level 3

Client's mother died. She was a widower. There is no will, just a living trust. Which includes a statement indicating my client's sister to be the "primary" personal representative.

The wording in the trust does include "personal representative". But when I walk through 1310. I have to answer no to "is there a will" and no to "court-appointed".

So, am I stuck with paper filing? Yes, there is small refund.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Box C - As the trust probably also names a successor TRUSTEE. 

Generally a trust has a pour over will, so I would say YES to #1. 

2 a & b are NO.

3 is  YES

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1610336-e-file-single-deceased-taxpayer

Be sure to have a signed copy of the 1310 before filing. 

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

Box C - As the trust probably also names a successor TRUSTEE. 

Generally a trust has a pour over will, so I would say YES to #1. 

2 a & b are NO.

3 is  YES

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1610336-e-file-single-deceased-taxpayer

Be sure to have a signed copy of the 1310 before filing. 

0 Cheers
treasur2
Level 3
You are correct. Forgot about that. Yes I was told there is a pour over will.  

So I've read this "yes, no, no, yes" scenario is acceptable for electronic filling. But, will IRS accept 1310 without a signature. Just the words printed below it "valid proof of death is in my possession"?
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Signing the 8879 is considered signature on the 1310. I typically get a client signature, but it appears to not be a requirement. I also attach the death certificate, even though it does not seem to be a requirement. I would rather send too much than too little.

0 Cheers
treasur2
Level 3
Just to confirm.  So you attach the death certificate in pdf or something and file the whole package electronically?
0 Cheers