Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No limit to number of states that can participate in IRS direct file in 2025

PATAX
Level 15

They claim it was successful this year, and next year there will be no limit on the number of states that can participate in IRS direct file. This is starting off just like the e-file program. E-file was optional at first,and they could never get over 50% of people to use it, so they mandated it. They claimed by mandating efile, it would free up IRS resources, and they would be more efficient and helpful and so forth. How did that work out? They'll  eventually make the direct file program mandatory, Just watch and see.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Ohio has not been part of it as yet. We'll see how many states join tthe program.  Free filing options have been out there before so not sure how much impact this will have on business.

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Ohio has not been part of it as yet. We'll see how many states join tthe program.  Free filing options have been out there before so not sure how much impact this will have on business.

IRonMaN
Level 15

If all of my clients had access and were directly notified of the program for their 2024 tax returns, I would still have 100% of my clients at this time next year.  Ok, maybe one would try it, screw things up, and would be back as a client the following year.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN @Jim-from-Ohio I agree with both of you. I don't expect any of my clients to use this. First of all, I think many people are not even aware of it. Second of all, I'm not sure if it can handle more complicated returns. But remember this is how it was when efile started., i.e. they could only offer certain forms and schedules to be e-filed, and the more complicated forms and schedules could not be efiled. But they gradually built up the system, year after year, and then they eventually mandated it.

BobKamman
Level 15

Let's see, if ALL CAPS is shouting, is all italics a handwritten note?  I don't see any similarity between a mandate on practitioners (not that there really is one) and a mandate on individual taxpayers.  A better comparison is with BOI, a mandate on all small businesses.  That passed Congress with overwhelming support.  Mandatory Direct File would never be legislated because not all states and cities would agree.  Texas and Florida would probably pass an income tax just so they could oppose it.  

PATAX
Level 15

It printed all italics on its own, I must have bumped it by accident. Do you even e-file any returns? If not, then how would you know about the comparison?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Bob knows.  Actually, I think Bob knows things about you that you don't even know about yourself.  😉

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN Notice he hasn't responded.

abctax55
Level 15

I (we?) used this to file my office manager's 2023 tax return.  Mainly because I was under the (false) impression it would be processed faster than waiting for Lacerte to be ready.  We were trying to beat the *ex* filing & claiming the kid.  

Based on my limited experience with TurdohhhTax, it is very similar.  Her return was very basic.   And yes, I ran it thru Lacerte to verify all the numbers 😉

I'm not at ALL concerned with any of my clients migrating over, but then - none of my clients would ever consider going with TT.   Not even the uncomplicated ones that easily could go that route, but just like to see my name at the bottom of page 2.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

He will. 😀

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

We will see.... his CPA *should* know that the father isn't qualified to claim the kid.    I have my doubts.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

We posted at the same time.  I was referring to Bob coming back for a visit.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Ah... I see.   Still a good response to my post anyway 😉

( Generic Comment )"