Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Form 1098-T Received

sharpcougar
Level 3

I have a client where spouse went to local community college but the spouse never received 1098-T. They have copies of checks proving they paid but they are unable to get it generated after multiple requests.

Is it possible to include amount paid for tuition and books without 1098-T? Again, they do have receipts.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You need to find out why they did not receive a 1098-T.

• Did it get lost in the mail?
  • Is it not a qualifying school?
  • Does it meet one of the exception in the 1098-T Instructions so it wasn't required to be issued?
  • Something else?
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Our local community college doesnt mail them out, the student needs to access it in their online student account...did he try looking there for it?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

I agree with Lisa and Bill. To me, a cancel check by itself is not sufficient enough without the 1098-T and I would be very hesitant to proceed without it. Also people can write checks for something and then later receive a refund for it, I am not saying this about your client, I am just saying this in general. Do yourself a favor and get a copy of the 1098-T.

ljr
Level 8

A lot of the schools just put them on the students portal. Sometimes they send an email to the student that it is there but we all know the kid is going to ignore it. I always tell parents (especially for first year college students) that they need to go check the portal for 1098-T. NO T no college credit.