Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NM CIT form printing wrong ID number 2020 and 2021 - is there a solution - idea exchange

vscpanm
Level 5

The State of NM recently changed the name of the ID # used for tax purposes from CRS (combined reporting system) to Business Tax ID# - BTIN. Proseries is printing a different ID # on the CIT-1 corporate state tax form which is the Secretary of State registration # (formerly PRC #). I have been trying to use the Idea Exchange forum but am having trouble accessing it. I just want to put this error out there in the hopes that Proseries tech will see it and address it. We cannot efile the returns with the incorrect ID # printed. There is no option to override or enter the correct ID# in the only field available as the filed length is too short.  

6 Comments 6
DS20
Employee
Employee

Hi VSCPANM,

You are correct, the old CRS# has now been redesigned as the Business Tax ID#. However, the state removed the CRS# field from the CIT-1 starting in TY20. The ‘New Mexico Business ID#’ field has always been the Secretary of State registration # (formerly PRC #), which has always had a seven-character limit (this limit is set by the New Mexico DOR, not ProSeries). Please enter the Secretary of State registration # in the “Public Regulation Comm No” field on the Info Worksheet, and this should pull the correct # to the CIT-1.

vscpanm
Level 5

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately, the old PRC# is not what the state is looking for in order to process a return. They did remove the old CRS # field and while the remaining field is labeled NM Business ID#, the field itself should be able to hold the NM Tax ID# (old CRS#, just renamed). I e-filed a 2020 return and it has been kicked back by the State of NM because the NM Tax ID# is not on the return. When you look at the actual field length on the NM printed copy, it is long enough to contain the 11 digit ID# with 2 dashes. 

A quick fix would be to lengthen the field to hold the correct ID# which is formatted as xx-xxxxxx-xxx . NM no longer cares about the old PRC #. You could actually remove that from the information worksheet altogether so that there would be no confusion as to what ID# to insert. Thoughts? 

DS20
Employee
Employee

I checked the state Schema for e-filing requirements and was able to confirm that this field, the New Mexico Business ID#, is not required for e-filing. In other words, you can e-file your return by leaving it blank, try giving that a shot. Also, the character limit is set by the state DOR, and cannot be altered by ProSeries, thus it must remain at the seven-character limit. Perhaps try contacting the state DOR and confirming the cause as we have not seen an e-file reject for this issue in either TY20 or TY21. Hope that helps.

vscpanm
Level 5

Thank you. I am in a conversation with NM Tax & Rev and hopefully I will have them resolve this. I do appreciate your response. 

vscpanm
Level 5

Just FYI, the NM CIT ID number issue was cleared up while I was on the phone with a NM Tax agent. The return was flagged but the agent said that it was not due to the ID number, even though that is what had the error. The NM tax agent cleared the error and said she would release the refund. I am hoping the client will receive the refund check early next week. 

The NM Tax agent did verify that the NM Business ID is no longer necessary for the corporate return which makes no sense to me, but whatever. I am thinking that it will be best to leave the "business ID #" field blank. Thank you for your assistance. 

Finusha
Level 1

CAN SOMEBODY PROVIDE ME FEDERAL TAX ID NUMBER FROM THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO, I TRY TO CALL THEM, AND NO ANSWER.  I THE TAX ID NUMBER TO REPORT TAX REFUND FROM THAT STATE

0 Cheers