Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New York Box 14- family leave- Proseries still not recognizing after 4 years!

moshe
Level 3

In 2017, New York passed mandatory paid family leave deductions.

For the last 4 years, on box 14 of the New York W-2, there has been 2 deductions taken, one for SDI, and one for FLI.

Apparently, proseries never got the memo, because on the drop down list on box 14, there is still no dropdown for NY paid family leave. There is only the old drop down for disability.

Every year, I think Proseries will add it, but I guess they just don't know how to update things on their own. I know I can select "other deductible state or local tax" instead, but I think its time for Proseries to update it after 4 years.

5 Comments 5
ajp
Level 5

They haven't updated it for Washington state either. 

PATAX
Level 15

@moshe @ajp I don't know but it appears the states do not receive the same priority as the Federal. Just my opinion.

moshe
Level 3

Correct.

But it's 4 years since NY started withholding family leave...

You would think by now they would've found some time when they aren't too busy doing the more important things..

PATAX
Level 15

@moshe 👍yeah doing more important things like changing the date on estimate forms??? Just my opinion.

0 Cheers
Sail
Level 2

It looks like the NY one is in Box 14 in 2023.

I was looking for Colorado's FAMLI which is new in 2023, to determine if it is to be treated as "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not listed above."  Thus it should flow to the Schedule A line 5a under the SALT taxes.

Looked at IRS instructions for Schedule A line 5a on page A-3 in the 3rd column.  Found this and want to confirm that it applies to Colorado's new FAMLI:

• Mandatory contributions to state
family leave programs, such as the New
Jersey Family Leave Insurance (FLI)
program and the California Paid Family
Leave program.

0 Cheers