Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MN Revenue email

IRonMaN
Level 15

I just received the email below from MN Revenue.  It got me thinking, if people actually asked these questions, how many of the folks asking questions here would be gaining new clients 🤔 

ST PAUL, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Revenue announced that the Hennepin County District Court judge recently sentenced Gwehn Paul Quaye Sr., of Brooklyn Park, to serve 30 days in jail and ordered to pay over $27,000 in restitution. He is also prohibited from assisting others in preparing tax returns and working in a fiduciary capacity for the duration of his probation.

Mr. Quaye was charged with 19 tax-related felonies in February 2019. He pleaded guilty to two of the charges in early March.

Revenue reminds taxpayers of resources available to help them choose a repudiable tax preparer this tax season. Although the department does not certify tax preparers, state law requires tax professionals who prepare income tax returns to follow standards of ethics and conduct.

Take the time to ask potential preparers these questions:

• What kind of formal tax training do you have?
  • Do you hold any professional licenses or designations, such as certified public accountant (CPA), enrolled agent (EA), registered accounting practitioner (RAP), accredited tax advisor (ATA), or accredited tax preparer (ATP)?
  • Do you belong to any professional organizations?
  • Do you take continuing professional education classes each year?
  • How long have you been preparing tax returns?
  • Have you ever done a tax return dealing with my situation?
  • Can I contact you year-round?
  • Have you ever been disciplined by any organization or governmental authority?
  • Will you represent me if I’m audited?
  • How much do you charge and how do you calculate your fees? 

Slava Ukraini!
9 Comments 9
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Guess i shouldn’t move to MN…. My answers are all No and none… except for the last one… i charge by the pound.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
IRonMaN
Level 15

I guess we could build a wall to keep you out, but we all know that really wouldn't work for you 🛩

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

"repudiable"?

Reputable would be better.

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I love the MN Revenue emails I get about tax fraud.  The ones about tax preparers are the most entertaining, but I think it is interesting that there seems to be quite a few sales tax fraud ones too (mostly at restaurants).

But I'm also dismayed that despite the long list of charges, he was only sentenced to 30 days in jail and $27,000.  I guess it may be worthwhile to commit tax fraud if the penalty is so minor.  Sigh.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, I always have to read those e-mails to see who "accidentally" didn't file taxes for awhile.  But the delinquent sales tax list e-mails are like getting the old Sears Christmas catalog ----------- I can hardly wait to look to see if there are any familiar names on the list 😁

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

"Revenue reminds taxpayers of resources available to help them choose a repudiable tax preparer this tax season."

Repudiable?  Maybe @IRonMaN can translate Minnesotese.  Or maybe he will just repudiate any connection with that state.  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

But the delinquent sales tax list e-mails are like getting the old Sears Christmas catalog ----------- I can hardly wait to look to see if there are any familiar names on the list 😁

As you might remember, I also have a business that cleans beer lines.  I've seen several of my customers (and former customers) on that delinquent sales tax list.  🤣

sjrcpa
Level 15

Maryland used to publish a list of the largest tax scofflaws. Maybe they still do.

One time I was working on a divorce case, where the cheating husband was also cheating the IRS by underreporting income. I was reconstructing his income. I saw him on MD's list. It didn't surprise me.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm sure he wasn't cheating ---------- he just didn't understand all of the rules 😀

Slava Ukraini!