Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing State ID #

Happy Friday everyone! 

Hope this is an easy one. I have a client with a W-2 and a State included in Box 15, income included in Box 16, but no state ID number in between. Do I need to get the client to get an updated W-2 or is there a workaround of some sort? 

Thank you!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
taxes96786
Level 9

Have client contact state tax office and ask for the number. You can enter it without waiting for a corrected W2.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I've seen this, or sometimes I see "APPLIED FOR" or sometimes i see the incorrectly the FEIN in that box.   I have entered APPLIED FOR in those cases and the returns have been accepted.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Depends on the state.  Some states will allow you to get by with entering the federal ID number and some states will fly with entering all 9s for the number.  But then again, if the client is going to be working for the same employer next year, why not contact the employer to get the correct number?

Slava Ukraini!
taxes96786
Level 9

Have client contact state tax office and ask for the number. You can enter it without waiting for a corrected W2.

This is definitely a side gig, but I can find out if she intends to work for them again, thank you! 

Client is fairly proactive generally, so I will offer this as a possibility along with the possibility of a corrected W-2. Thank you very much for the suggestion. 

0 Cheers