Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married Filing Sep. tax plan

JDavidson
Level 1

I was wondering if there is a way to do a tax plan for married filing separately. We have a client who filed married filing jointly in 2022 and we want to see what it would look like in 2023 IF they filed separately. Is there way to do that on the tax planner or do you need to add one of the spouses as a separate client and do two separate tax plans?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Have you tried the MFJ to MFS worksheet?  Im in a community property state, so it doesnt work for my clients, but it may help you.

mfjmfswksht.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
JDavidson
Level 1

We are looking for a way in the tax planner to have it separated out without two separate tax plans if that makes sense

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The Tax Planner lets you do multiple columns of different scenarios, if its a complex return it may be easier just mark everything T/S/J and then split the MFJ return into 2 MFS returns then use the Tax Planner in each of those for planning.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
JDavidson
Level 1

Hi Lisa,

I did select MFJ for one of the scenarios; however it would not let me enter anything for income etc for the spouse 

0 Cheers