Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 6, 1836

rcooley25
Level 11

To all of you tax preparers who are Texans, Happy Alamo Day

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
PATAX
Level 15

@rcooley25 👍good job Rcooley, love me some Texas....

View solution in original post

19 Comments 19
PATAX
Level 15

@rcooley25 👍good job Rcooley, love me some Texas....

IRonMaN
Level 15

@rcooley25 - do you remember what you were doing that day -  or was that a couple of years before your time 😉

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN 👍LMAO...🤣

rcooley25
Level 11

Just a few years before my time. I have this fantasy about inventing a time machine  and travel back to San Antonio and bring with me every peice of war equipment I can lay my hands o (claymor mines,hand grenades, fifty caliber machine guns) and this time there is going to be one hell of a surprise when the mexian troops start charging the walls I might even stop off at world war 2 and pick up General George Patton and Audie Murphy.

rbynaker
Level 13

It's so much smaller in person.  I'd seen movies but when I visited the site I remember thinking, this is it?  Wow, this really was the last stand.

PATAX
Level 15

@rcooley25 👍God bless you rcooley. Please rescue General Patton, a True American Hero, before he goes on that last fatal "accidental" drive...God Willing, the truth will be revealed one day, so his Spirit can be at ease and rest.

IRonMaN
Level 15

My dad served under Patton during the Battle of the Bulge - he loved Patton.

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

My Dad Drove a supply truck for him.

rcooley25
Level 11

I did not think of that. Yes pick him up before he takes that drive. I had heard that the army wanted to prosecute the driver that  was responsible for the accident and General Patton would not let them do it.

rcooley25
Level 11

What you see today regarding the Alamo is not a very good exasmple of what it was like. The acual Alamo as it existed in 1836  was about 3 or four Acers and that is why 180 men could not properly defend the walls. After the batlle the mission had been used as a fort so many times that Santa Anna ordered it to be destroyed but those doing it could not bring themselves to destroy the chappel. Afew years ago I visited Bracket Ville Texas and saw the movie set that John Wyne built for his movie. When I looked at the set I wondered why 180 men could not defend those walls. The reason was that I was still looking at a 1/3rd size model.

BobKamman
Level 15

When I visited I was most impressed by the buses surrounding it with their diesel motors running to keep the cabin cool for the tourists who couldn't walk more than 200 feet to the entrance.  I asked one of the volunteer guides  if they cared about the effect of pollution on old adobe walls.  His reply was a Texas-size shrug.

Later I visited the oxymoronic Institute of Texas Cultures.  And then the River Walk.  A security guard threatened to have me arrested because I pointed out it was against fire regulations to lock the doors of the food court next door just because the Marriott wanted to keep people away from its private party on the public walk.  

rcooley25
Level 11

I am certainly sorry for that terrible thing that happen to you but be assured the majority of Texas people are not rude like that and are very heartwarming people. It has certainly been nice tonight to take a break from talking about income taxes and forms and instead talking about something that is very dear to my heart and apparrently dear to many of you. A few years ago I had some fun with some friends when I ask them if the texans lost the battle of the Alamo. Many of them said yes they lost because the only thing they knew about was the 1836 fight. The truth is that there was another battle of the Alamo that took place in what I believe was December of 1835. The texan army attacked the Mexican  army stationed in San Antonio. The Mexican Army retreated to inside the Alamo. The Texans surrounded the Alamo and demanded the Mexicans to surrender which they did and was parroled uner the promise they would not come back (haha). Kind of strange is it not when you consider what happen 3 months later.

BobKamman
Level 15

Do you know the story of Santa Anna's leg?  I learned it when I was a teen-ager, taking summer classes at the Autonomous National University of Mexico.  A couple years after that battle at the Alamo, Santa Anna was wounded by the French in the Pastry War (you can look it up) and his left leg had to be amputated.  He arranged to give it a state funeral.  Eventually his artificial leg ended up in a museum in Illinois.  Back in 2016, Texas wanted it but Illinois refused.  Mexico is also asking for it.  You can read about it in a story by, of all people , the official Arizona state historian.  

https://truewestmagazine.com/el-jefe-santa-annas-leg/

rcooley25
Level 11

Yes I had heard the story about his leg but I was not aware that my state of Illinois was playing a role in it.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Texas wants it.  Mexico wants it.  Minnesota says go ahead and keep it, we don't want it.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

I once heard that this is the slogan of a divorce attorney in San Antonio.  No idea if it's true. 

"Don't Forget the Alimony."

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
IRonMaN
Level 15

But that was yesterday's news.  Today is March 7th.  March 7, 1965 was Bloody Sunday.  It was a lovely Sunday when a bunch of cops decided to beat the living daylights out of a bunch of folks taking a little walk in Selma, Alabama.  It's wonderful that after 57 years the world has learned to better tolerate others and live in peace 😬

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

WHY DONT WE TRY AND SEE IF WE CAN LOCATE THE PEOPLE THAT DID THIS TYERRIBLE THING and send them up to intuit?

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

If you need a witness try and ask any divorce man that has been hung out to dry and see what he has to  say.