Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of Dependents for use in returns.

JRC
Level 8

It would be nice to have a list of Dependents that were used in the past for returns in the current year. Many Divorced parents switch off who claims who and we have to go through the routine of looking up past dependents (Names, SS#, DOB). Why can't this information be saved with the Data Files for each return and have us Check a box to include in current years return or not?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Why do you remove the dependents?

I think I generally keep them on there, but code them so as not to get any benefits (code "Q"? for the dependent, and say not qualified for EIC).

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Why do you remove the dependents?

I think I generally keep them on there, but code them so as not to get any benefits (code "Q"? for the dependent, and say not qualified for EIC).

dkh
Level 15

You could also use the Permanent Comments section of Client Status worksheet - all the way at the bottom - to list the Names SS# DOB  etc etc   and note what year each dependent was/will be claimed

JRC
Level 8

Didn't realize you could do that.

All these years I have been Deleting them when not available for the Current year.

Thank you. 

JRC
Level 8

dkh. We do use the permanent comments section but find my self forgetting to look at them. I could try that also. Thanks.

dkh
Level 15

I wish the Permanent Comment section was at the top because I too forget to look.

I do what TaxGuyBill suggested - I use code Q   

Accountant-Man
Level 13

I do the same, use Q as type so they are not used as dependents and assuming they do not qualify the divorced TP for HOH.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
ljr
Level 8

I use comment section and a yellow sticky note in the folder that says "son even years". I never remember to look at my permanent comment notes. I also print out the info worksheet for a year the kid is on and leave it in the file, so I have the info in front of me to put them back on. I've never left them on the return and changed the code. To afraid I might forget and then have a problem to amend.  overkill maybe but it works for me - especially when already stressed. 

Accountant-Man
Level 13

What is this  <<print out the info worksheet for a year the kid is on and leave it in the file?>>

You mean like ON PAPER?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers