Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Between PIA and Last Minute

dascpa
Level 11

It's not just being lazy and waiting.  Those can be handled.  But why are all the difficult ones always at the end?  I

I have $200,000 of home improvements to reduce my gain.  Do you have documentation and is it exactly $200,000?  Somewhere.  Can you get it?  I'm going on a fishing trip this weekend.  The deadline is next Tuesday and today is only Tuesday. Okay, just go with my $200,000.  Oy,.

They're all big dollar issues that you cannot just ignore and file an extension on.  You need the information for them to pay.

8 Comments 8
PATAX
Level 15

Is the fishing trip more important to him than his tax returns?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm thinking on the flip side.  Why are so many basic returns coming in last?  Returns that could have been in the first week of February are showing up now.  But then again, we do have the 1099S surprise in a few of the late arrivals 🙁

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Most of my last-minute clients have their act together.  They procrastinate, but they know there are no second chances if they don't want to file an extension.  But one of them, an employee of a suburb that hired a payroll company last year, has lost the original W-2 because he thought the W-2C they issued would replace it.  There was no change to Box 1 or Box  2, so I don't know how much he earned and how much tax was withheld. 

If it weren't for the procrastinators, we wouldn't have anything to do this week.  They are essential to the business.  

dascpa
Level 11

Ex won't sign 8332 after signing it for years.  Would never do the multi-year signature.  Come to find out after fifteen years of handling this client - oh, we were never really married.  We just called it as such so her parents wouldn't be upset we had a child and not be married.  Excuse me?!?!

BobKamman
Level 15

So there's no decree?  So does the 8332 even apply?  I had to look that up once. 

dkh
Level 15

WHAT ! Good grief, do you have to start asking for a marriage certificate for proof......... 

Fire that client....    file an extension but make them have someone else finish the return.

IRonMaN
Level 15

For years I have said we all have the same clients, only the names were changed.  But I do have to admit, that isn't true when it comes to @dascpa .  He has his own special breed.  And hopefully they stop breeding soon.  We don't want them spreading to our practices.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@dkh 👍 and that is the weakest link.