Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life is stranger than fiction

IRonMaN
Level 15

So I had a client call last week.  Well, I should say a former client since she dropped off the radar this past tax season since she had previously cleaned out the last of her retirement account and is now living on Social Security.  Anyway, she called about a notice from MN Rev last week and was concerned about owing money to the State.  I asked if she could mail me a copy of the notice so I can see what the notice is about.  I get the notice today along with a note saying she is overdraft, has some other bills that need to be paid and she is not sure what she is going to do if she owes MN $1200.  So I look at the notice.  It says that her 2021 return has been changed and she has a refund of $1200 coming her way.  I scratch my head wondering why MN has taken so long to process the return.  The change was due to her paying an additional estimated tax payment that she didn't tell me about..  But this story sounds a little familiar.  Then I look more closely at the notice and see that the notice and the postmark on the envelope it came in was dated July 2022.  I had this same conversation with her last year.  I'm wondering if I should shred it so I don't have this conversation again next year? 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Shes a little bit behind in opening her mail it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

She opened it a year ago and must have got bored and opened it again this year.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Your "philosophy" is all wrong.  You could have a recurring annual fee for her each year she asks you the same question on the same issue.  It could be better than an annuity.

IRonMaN
Level 15

In theory, that's true.  But you missed the part about her bank account being overdraft.  I'd be like living in a Wimpy world of "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today".

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Maybe her bank account was overdraft because she thought she was going to get a $1200 refund multiple times.   😂

IRonMaN
Level 15

Could be ——— finances have never been a strong point for her.😊

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

She could be in early stages of mental decline like Alzheimer's, dementia,etc. Covid-19 also has long-term "mental fog" issues.

IRonMaN
Level 15

She is a nice lady but she does have some issues -------------- but don't we all?😉

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

does have some issues -------------- but don't we all?😉

I don't have too many issues ... unless you ask my wife.  🤣

As long as the issues don't rise to the level of strapping an Acme rocket to our backs ... um, oh, sorry about that.  🤣 🤣 🤣

IRonMaN
Level 15

"As long as the issues don't rise to the level of strapping an Acme rocket to our backs ... um, oh, sorry about that."

But those aren't issues.  That is merely an example of thinking outside of the box ------------- even though the rockets probably should have been left inside of the box 🙁

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers