Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large amounts of stock transactions from 1099B with wash sales

TinyT
Level 2

My client has a Robinhood 1099B- 47 pages worth of stock transactions- some with wash sales- I know I can not just bypass 8949 and use the box a transactions to report directly onto schedule D because of the wash sales-- so I’m wondering if there is another way of reporting these transactions on the 8949 without entering each one of the more than 500 transactions?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
ok, you CAN make the basis adjustment for the wash and enter it at the top, BUT youre not supposed to. Wash sales are supposed to be shown on the 8949.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
Greta
Level 9

I too am finding wash sales annoying, I've putting each sale item that has a wash in Form 8494, but I'd hate to do it too often. Mailing Form 8453 with attachments is annoying too, and like Lisa said, no one likely reads that stuff. IDK.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If its got wash sales you cant just stuff it in the boxes at the top of the 1099B worksheet.

I just summarize and use the totals in the entry screen ST Covered, LT Covered, ST NonCovered, etc.

Many people also attach a PDF of the 1099B showing all the transactions, I never do.

BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  "If it's got wash sales you can't just stuff it in the boxes at the top of the 1099B worksheet."

Why not?

If the point is to get it past some tax examiner in the Automated Underreporter Program at a Service Center, all they are going to look for is whether the gross proceeds match what is reported, and if the gain on covered transactions is at least as much as what is reported.  If the gain is higher, the Manual tells them not to make an adjustment. 

IRS can create paperwork burdens to a certain extent, but when it adds excessive time and cost then we are fostering voluntary compliance by using a shortcut that doesn't change the amount of tax owed.  Until someone tells me to stop, I'll just adjust the cost basis of covered transactions to take into account wash sales.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
ok, you CAN make the basis adjustment for the wash and enter it at the top, BUT youre not supposed to. Wash sales are supposed to be shown on the 8949.

BobKamman
Level 15

That's definitely the IRS opinion.  Maybe Congress will enact it into law some day.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Its hardly worth wasting time worrying or arguing over, its a couple more keystrokes for us enter, big whoop.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Of course you're not supposed to do it that way, either.  So welcome to the club.  

0 Cheers
TinyT
Level 2

True- but in my case, about 500 plus more entries.😀 

0 Cheers
TinyT
Level 2

Thank you everyone for your responses. I appreciate all the help!😀

0 Cheers