Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a t/p working and living in Canada on a long term assignment (2-3 years) subject to NYS income tax

jfjefts
Level 3

T/P from NYS is now working and living in Canada for a 2–3-year period. His employer, the FBI, is withholding Federal and NYS income tax. He does not have a residence in NYS, just a PO Box for mail. Is he subject to NYS income tax, or can he file as a Non-Resident and get a full refund of the NYS taxes withheld?
His wife is in the same position, but she is using her mothers NJ address for mail.

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
Camp1040
Level 10

Where are most of his belongings, his family ties, where does he intend to return to when done with this assignment.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Who issued his driver's license? Where does he vote?

Do they own a house in NY?

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

What do we have the FBI doing in Canada?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think we have FBI all over the place.  The only difference is this one didn’t have to spend as much time learning a foreign language as some of the others.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Unless he is in the part of Canada that speaks French..

IRonMaN
Level 15

We-we.  Or is it wi-wi. Or wewe?  wee-wee?  Wiwi?  Weewee?  Why did you have to go and complicate things?  Eh?

Slava Ukraini!
jfjefts
Level 3

He has a NY drivers license,. and he votes in NY . He does not own a house. He was renting in NY and moved all his belongings to Canada.

0 Cheers
jfjefts
Level 3

He took all his belongings with him. He will probably return to NY when the assignment is done.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

I would go with NYS resident. It meets the domicile test.

sjrcpa
Level 15

And NY is one of the tough states when it comes to proving you abandoned residency.

I agree with @Camp1040 

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Keeping a PO box in NY sure doesn't help when you are trying to say you abandoned the state.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Let alone drivers license and voter registration.