Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRs issuing automatic refunds for unemployment

Level 1

How does everyone feel about the possibility of IRS automatically issuing refunds to those affected by the unemployment deductions.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5

For already filed returns, very positive, but the state returns might also need amending so I'm not sure it saves time.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think they'll be able to, but how long will it take....

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
caroljo
Level 5

I love the idea, but I am wondering if the states will do the same after IRS does. I sure do not look forward to amending them. I think the government is trying to drive us to drink. 😫

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

scares me.....but, it is what it is. Thankfully I held most of my UI returns so, I dont have to worry too much about IRS correcting.

BobKamman
Level 15

I am waiting to see how they deal with MFJ returns with community income and unemployment more than $10,200 -- and how they figure out if the taxpayers lived in a community-property state, anyway.  

I think what's more likely is that IRS will send the taxpayer a "reverse CP 2000" -- proposing to give them the exclusion but asking them to sign off on it.  Clients will call us, we'll do all the work for free because, of course, it's our fault they got the notice.