Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS is hiring - any takers?

PATAX
Level 15

Just announced. I think I am interested. In fact I think I would be quite good as an IRS agent.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

You had better see what their rules are on taking your dog to work.....Heidi would not want to be left behind.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

You had better see what their rules are on taking your dog to work.....Heidi would not want to be left behind.

PATAX
Level 15

@dkh I'm going to be a field agent and audit people at their place of business. Therefore Heidi can come along. She is usually disciplined and restrained. 

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I have some ideas to go after many people. Mostly strippers and so forth......Hahaha!!!

Plus, I want to carry. 

BobKamman
Level 15

Bloomberg just published a lengthy article based on interviews with former IRS employees.  Although it used the generic term "agent," it was obvious that they talked to revenue agents, revenue officers and office auditors.  The article is behind a paywall, but here is an excerpt:

"The agency’s diminished profile is the result of a conservative campaign that’s been going on at least since Ronald Reagan became president, thriving through the Trump era even as other core Republican planks fell aside. When the party took over the House of Representatives in January, the first bill passed, on a party-line vote, was an attempt to stop most of the $80 billion from being released.

"The IRS has already started to spend that money, with the aim of modernizing and helping it catch tax cheats. “This is our moment in history to transform the IRS,” the agency’s new commissioner, Danny Werfel, declared at his swearing-in ceremony on April 4. Among his goals, he said, are hiring skilled staff to unpack complex returns, upgrading customer service and investing in technology that finally lets the agency interact with taxpayers online rather than via tons and tons of paper.

"But employees who’ve been on the job in recent years say more than extra money will be required to restore the agency to some semblance of its former self. Bloomberg Businessweek persuaded more than two dozen recently departed employees to open up about their time at the agency. Many asked to remain anonymous, saying they feared online attacks or professional blowback. Taken together, the ex-employees describe a dysfunctional agency gutted by budget cuts, staff departures and lousy tech, leaving it incapable of enforcing the nation’s tax laws fully and fairly. (The IRS declined to respond to former employees’ criticisms, pointing Businessweek to the agency’s detailed plans to revamp operations over the next several years.)"

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@BobKamman wrote:

Bloomberg just published a lengthy article based on interviews with former IRS employees.  Although it used the generic term "agent," it was obvious that they talked to revenue agents, revenue officers and office auditors.  The article is behind a paywall, but here is an excerpt:

"The agency’s diminished profile is the result of a conservative campaign that’s been going on at least since Ronald Reagan became president, thriving through the Trump era even as other core Republican planks fell aside. When the party took over the House of Representatives in January, the first bill passed, on a party-line vote, was an attempt to stop most of the $80 billion from being released.

"The IRS has already started to spend that money, with the aim of modernizing and helping it catch tax cheats. “This is our moment in history to transform the IRS,” the agency’s new commissioner, Danny Werfel, declared at his swearing-in ceremony on April 4. Among his goals, he said, are hiring skilled staff to unpack complex returns, upgrading customer service and investing in technology that finally lets the agency interact with taxpayers online rather than via tons and tons of paper.

"But employees who’ve been on the job in recent years say more than extra money will be required to restore the agency to some semblance of its former self. Bloomberg Businessweek persuaded more than two dozen recently departed employees to open up about their time at the agency. Many asked to remain anonymous, saying they feared online attacks or professional blowback. Taken together, the ex-employees describe a dysfunctional agency gutted by budget cuts, staff departures and lousy tech, leaving it incapable of enforcing the nation’s tax laws fully and fairly. (The IRS declined to respond to former employees’ criticisms, pointing Businessweek to the agency’s detailed plans to revamp operations over the next several years.)"

I tend to agree. If they want an upgraded IRS, they face an uphill battle and one that may not be possible. I certainly hope they can clean up the tax cheats of the country. 

PATAX
Level 15

@BobKamman @garman22 I agree with both of you. I have no sympathy with people that do not want to pay their tax. I pay tax on every single penny that I make. Squeaky clean. Let them pay their taxes too, I have no sympathy for them when they get nailed.