Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In-law apartment rented as not for profit

mcd1231
Level 4

My client bought a house in 2021 and "rents" her in-law apartment to her daughter for a very affordable price.  The daughter applied for rental assistance and it was issued.  So my client received a 1099 Misc for the rent.  I entered the 1099 Misc on Sch 1 line 8.  How or where do I enter the expenses to offset this rental income?  Thank you

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
sjrcpa
Level 15

You don't.

Ex-AllStar
Camp1040
Level 10

You enter the 1099-Misc on schedule E not other income on schedule 1.. If taxpayer "rents" to a family member at below fair rental value then you file on schedule E and can only claim deductions up to income.

Well I like @sjrcpa  answer better, claim the income on schedule 1 and interest and property taxes on schedule A, no other deductions allowed, just like a second residence.

mcd1231
Level 4

Sorry but I don't what?  Enter on Sch 1 or don't claim the expenses?

0 Cheers
mcd1231
Level 4

Maybe I should not have said rented.  The daughter gives my client $$ toward household expenses.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

You claim the income and you do not deduct any expenses other than what is allowable on schedule A, mortgage interest and property taxes.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Very affordable price" and still needs rental assistance? 😶

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

And the city/county/state pays your client rent.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

That's the part that got me.  Must have tried for PPP loans and didn't qualify ☹️

Slava Ukraini!
mcd1231
Level 4

She doesn't work.  Not sure why

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think it goes on Schedule 1 Line 8i.

Ex-AllStar