Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a student is at a university out of california with out of state income and is a dependent which state do they file in?

Level 1

Student is at university in North Dakota and has income.  Lives at home with parents and is their dependent in california.  Do they file in both states?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Level 15

Yup, file in both.

Slava Ukraini!
Level 9

Yes, as a dependent and with the home address.

Level 14
Level 14

You have to check the filing requirements for both states. If under, only file to get a refund of taxes withheld.