Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
  • Sign In
  • Created with Sketch. It is being reported that major internet and cell service providers Verizon, ATt&T, T-Mobile, as well as some smaller local providers are experiencing a massive outage across the United States. This will impact the ProSeries program in regards to customer receiving MFA codes, as well as messages indicating ProSeries is not connected to the Internet.
    cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

I need to use a clients 2019 earned income to qualify for the EITC on the 2020 return. I am getting a message that the return must be mailed in vs electronic filing. Is this accurate? It contradicts the encouragement to file electronically

jTowers9267
    Level 2

Again, I need to use the earned income from 2019 to claim EITC for 2020.  When I complete the EIC worksheet I get a message that I can't e-file the return based on unsubstantiated information.  Is there a way around this?  It contradicts the encouragement to do everything possible to file electronically.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
    TaxGuyBill
    Level 15

That message seems to occur when there $0 of Earned Income in 2020.  Is that true in your case?

I suspect that is a program error, and hopefully they will fix that.  You might be able to ignore the message and disable error-checking when you e-file it.

jTowers9267
    Level 2

You are correct; the cllient had zero earned income in 2020.  Let's hope it is a fix by intuit.  Thanks for the thoughts.

BobKamman
    Level 15

Or is there a Schedule C loss involved?  IRS encouragement of electronic filing is trumped (pardon the term) by IRS encouragement to question every EIC claimant as a tax cheat.  

jTowers9267
    Level 2

No Schedule C loss...........all 2020 income was from unemployment compensation.

0 Cheers