Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I called the IRS.....................

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

First call to the practitioners' hot line since 2019.... 

Great news was that there was a new phone answering system providing hold times and offering a 'call back' in 21 minutes....   I opted in and amazingly, the phone rang exactly 21 minutes later.....  It only took another 25 minutes for a rep to pick up the line.... and it was downhill from there...

I explained the issue to the rep and she understood immediately. They already had the documentation to support & resolve.... what should have been a 5 minute conversation took close to an hour.   (I was put on hold several times for 5-7 minutes so she could check something, make notes, or have coffee...

Biggest disappointment was that the hold music hasn't been updated... 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
4 Comments 4
abctax55
Level 15

and it was downhill from there...

Bruce, meaning it got resolved?

I hope....

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

Is the music on hold still Tchaikovsky?  The Ukrainians won Eurovision song competition last year.  Just a thought.  

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Anna,  I received a letter in Jan that IRS was applying funds to TP 2021 & 2022 account as we had requested.  They just never did what they said they would.... what a surprise...  

Bob   I think they cut out the Tchaikovsky medley about 10 years ago.  There were complaints that Nutcracker box office sales were down due because IRS callers were starting to associate the beautiful ballet with the despised Agency.  

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks for update. Similar thing happened to me about a month or so ago when I called. It wasn't the tax practitioner line but just a regular IRS agent line. I think a lot depends on the agent that you talk to or who receives your correspondence. But what do I know?