Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to report on line 16 of schedule A the increased standard deduction because of casualty loss

cajunlady
Level 2

I have a client that has a qualified federal casualty loss.   I know that you can choose to take the casualty loss in addition to the casualty loss.   The instructions on the IRS form says to enter on line 16  after you reported the net qualified disaster loss.   you have to enter "Standard Deduction claimed with Qualified Disaster Loss"  on this line. 

I have tried everything in Pro Series to make this line show up on schedule A.   Does anyone have any knowledge on how to accomplish this?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5

Fill out the Form 4684 worksheet, making sure you check the box on line 4e.  Once you do that, it will work.  The Schedule A will print the total standard deduction, including the casualty loss, on line 16 with text that says "See Schedule A, Line 16 Statement".  The statement will show the Net Qualified Disaster Loss and the regular standard deduction and then will total them, equaling what is shown on Schedule A, Line 16.

cajunlady
Level 2

hmm   i do have 4e checked on the 4684 worksheet and although the amount of casualty loss flowed there..  it did not include the additonal line with "Standard deduction Claimed with Casualty Loss"  on Schedule A..   

Dont know what i can be doing wrong..   I did inlcude the Fema DR number on I

0 Cheers
cajunlady
Level 2

Pro Series does have a notice at top saying :"Form not Ready"     Wonder if that is the problem

0 Cheers
cajunlady
Level 2

okay   as i looked further,   I noticed that the amount does not show up on Schedule A ,

but when I looked at form 1040 under standard deduction, I noticed that it automatically added it there!

Since, it is not on Schedule A with the words that IRS says to put on line 16 of Schedule A,  I hope that they will see why my figure is different.

Thanks for your help!   In your program, is it showing up on Schedule A also?

0 Cheers

It is showing up on Schedule A just fine.

0 Cheers