Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move excess scholarship income to Wages

dasnowball
Level 3

In the past excess scholarship funds have been shown along with wages on line 1 of the 1040.  For 2022 they are shown as "other income".  Is this correct or is there someplace to indicate they should be added to wages.  Thanks

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IntuitCharlene

There was a change for tax year 2022 where the IRS added additional lines to the Schedule 1. This was one of the changes. See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf page 6. 

• Scholarship and fellowship grants
that were not reported to you on Form
W-2 are now reported on Schedule 1,
line 8r.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I never really understood why they would be on the wages line, therye not earned income.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Not only are they earned income (yes they were (are>) for the standard deduction) as such it screws up the Kiddie Tax.

0 Cheers
IntuitCharlene

There was a change for tax year 2022 where the IRS added additional lines to the Schedule 1. This was one of the changes. See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf page 6. 

• Scholarship and fellowship grants
that were not reported to you on Form
W-2 are now reported on Schedule 1,
line 8r.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Based on all the questions that show up here every year, this also must be the first year that the IRS published instructions to go with the 1040.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

It's not the first year that many preparers don't even look at the forms, much less the instructions.  

If the scholarship covers more than tuition and books, you know the kid is playing football, and earns every penny of it.