Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW IS PROSERIES HANDLING THE 8915-F CARRYOVER FROM 2020

Olympus Tax
Level 3

DUH,,, THAT DOESN'T MEAN PROSERIES SHOULD CARRY OVER THE PROPER INFORMATION FROM YEAR TO YEAR.

0 Cheers
Tax Man Tan
Level 4

I spoke with a rep today. He assured me and update will be released this afternoon. He said this update would add 8915-F, which is where that distribution is reported(not as other income on SCH. 1), and that it would also transfer the info from last year over. We asked if this would be done with out us having to do another mass client transfer, and we were told the update will do everything, that we DO NOT need to do a 2nd transfer. Keep your fingers crossed, and check tomorrow.

rcooley25
Level 11

I sure hope you were not lied to. This afternoon shouldsure beat 3/31 date.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Based on everything we have been told up until now, that statement doesn't sound accurate.  But the good news is we don't have to worry about doing that welfare check on @rcooley25  today. 😉

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

I dont know about that. this situation makes me sicker everyday.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

New client came in today.. looked at 2020 return.. they were picking up income 1/3, 1/3, 1/3.. i picked up the second 1/3 as other income.. done... income reported. 

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

Without form 8915F how did you do it?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds like he picked it up as other income.  That gets the return done, but that doesn't mean the client won't get a notice down the road.

Slava Ukraini!
Jamierac
Level 4

One can only hope

Jamierac
Level 4

You’ll get a letter CP 2000 by doing that. 
Of course you will not owe but you’ll have to respond to the letter and deal with all the BS that comes with that. It’s OK to give a bottom line but I wouldn’t do it or send it

Olympus Tax
Level 3

I GUESS IT WOULD BE TOO MUCH TO ASK TO HAVE INTUIT PROSERIES ACTUALLY POST THAT INFORMATION TO EVERYONE ..... THE REPS ON THE PHONE TELL YOU A DIFFERENT STORY EACH AND EVERY TIME YOU CALL ... THE LACK OF TRAING AND COMMUNICTION FROM INTUIT HAS GOT TO BE THE WORST SOFTWARE SUPPORT IN THE INDUSTRY!!!!

IRonMaN
Level 15

Here is still the official timeline, but subject to change of course:

https://myproconnect.intuit.com/releasedates

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

That is why I wont believe that the form will be in our system this after noon untill I see it updated.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm guessing the person handling that call had already been asked that question 115 times today, so they got tired of saying the real date, hoping the phone calls would go away.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I didnot intend to do any posting today but how many times have you heard from me in the last 15 minutes?

Jamierac
Level 4

The message I have been giving support is that it is not really Support’s fault it is the disconnect between the programmers the support people and then to the end users or us. I have made that clear to them. Actually this is Intuit that fails with this. I think their product is good overall but there could be improvement here. Again I like to be constructively critiquing a situation. It’s very easy to tear it  down

0 Cheers
Tax Man Tan
Level 4

Incorrectly. It's not other income!

Tax Man Tan
Level 4

I asked that very question today. and was told I don't know why they wouldn't notify you about this, that's crazy. That's from their own employee!

0 Cheers
Tax Man Tan
Level 4

La Certe has it and the info has xferred over, according to another user. Not sure why they'd have it days ago, and proseries owned by the same horrendous company wouldn't have it.....

Tax Man Tan
Level 4

Do you use Drake? We are seriously considering changing softwares after this season! 😞 Intuit is garbage, and they get worse every year.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Owned by the same company, but hardly the same software.

Slava Ukraini!
Tax Man Tan
Level 4

Shoot, I' m complaining about them, because they SUCK! Customer service is dog crap! and their software gets closer and closer to that each year as well! 

ejdtaxman
Level 7

I agree. I would also like to know. I have no confidence that I will remember who opted to spread their distribution over 3 years. 

Since the release date is now apparently 3/31/21 there should be plenty of time for Intuit to create a client analyzer like they did last year with the UI exemption.

But I learn not to expect too much.. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Doesn't anybody ever look at the prior year return? 

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

@IRonMaN 

Honestly, Fe; next thing we know, you'll be expecting the Client to remember! Sheesh.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

At my age I'm happy if I can just remember the client so I'm not expecting them to even remember what they had for breakfast.  For stuff that I think could be kinda important for the future, I leave notes on the client's routing sheet in their file.  Sometimes low tech still works just fine instead of always relying on software to always hold your hand.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@ejdtaxman wrote:

Since the release date is now apparently 3/31/21 there should be plenty of time for Intuit to create a client analyzer like they did last year with the UI exemption. 

You want the Developers to spend time creating an analyzer, rather than working on the actual form?

rcooley25
Level 11

If somethinggood comes out of this mess that will be great.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I do. So if I do than everybody should (Ha Ha)

Camp1040
Level 10

On the bright side Form 1310 was finalized today.

rcooley25
Level 11

Subtract that from 8915 and we only have 7605 more to go.

0 Cheers
BethP
Level 3

That is the LEAST they could do.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

The "Free Tax USA" software on the IRS.gov "Free File Site" has the 8915-F up and running and e-filing with it with no problem or delay.

cpazott
Level 3

This is going to be a disaster.  I can't remember all the client that did this.  

Ugh.  

0 Cheers
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

"Which is why, when Forms are not released or finalized, it probably is best not to transfer these clients. "

That's not a practical approach for our shop. Since early January, we have been busy peppering areas of every tax return (some sold a house, others told us they had a new baby, on and on...) to maximize the use of our time. With over 1,000 tax clients, we get started working on tax returns even before the client arrives with their tax docs. If we can key in the closing statement from the sale of a rental property in January when it's a lot quieter, we're going to work efficiently and take advantage of that time 5 weeks ago when we aren't so busy. 

0 Cheers
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

You are 100% correct. All my other colleagues who use Drake, CCH, etc have the 8915.

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

That's the same thing I heard as well - other tax software providers have the 8915 fully functional

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

Yes, I heard the same thing from a colleague who uses Lacerte.

0 Cheers
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

"Complaining to peer users that all you are asking is information already made available, really makes not much sense"

Posters here are free to express their frustrations, etc anytime they'd like. Makes sense to a lot of people, especially when they are wondering if they are the only one that has a concern about something. 

Feel free to post anything/anytime ya'll - that's the purpose of this forum.

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

You are 100% correct rooley. Feel free to post anything you'd like. Some on this forum think that they can push back on you just because you are expressing your opinion or frustration. Just ignore then. Qbteachmt is a good example of someone who doesn't want to hear your input. But you can say what every you want here anytime/anyway.

Camp1040
Level 10

Maybe we should start posting what we ate for breakfast and turn this professional forum into tic-toc!

Yes I know it is TikTok

IRonMaN
Level 15

How early can we start because if we are going to have to wait an hour or so after breakfast, I don't know if I will be able to remember. 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
Jamierac
Level 4

100% correct.  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Camp1040 wrote:

Maybe we should start posting what we ate for breakfast

I had a great breakfast this morning.  I had eggs, cream cheese, graham crackers ... well, okay, it was a piece of cheesecake.   🍰  😂

abctax55
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill

Breakfast of "Champ"ions.....

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Qbteachmt is a good example of someone who doesn't want to hear your input."

Well, that's not true. It's not Input. Complaining to peer users isn't going to help, as rcooley has learned, by posting 5 or more topics on the same issue a day, every friggin' day; you will tend to find you are alienating your peers that are on this community forum. And some people on this community forum only complain and never help.

I've seen the button: Don't yell at me; I'm a volunteer.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"you will tend to find you are alienating your peers that are on this community forum"

Nope.  I appreciate rcooley's posts.  Its a lot easier than trying to get a hold of the authorities in his area to do a welfare check on him.  If he is posting multiple times day, that means he is upright and taking nourishment --------  which is a good thing.  😉

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"If he is posting multiple times day, that means he is upright and taking nourishment"

Ah...proof of life.

At first, it may have been alienating.  But now, it is rather amusing.  I sort of look forward to the daily new threads on 8915, charity, and stockholders basis.  You have to laugh a little or you'd be spending the whole day crying.  I have no idea how I am going to get everything done by April 18th without forms in the program, etc.  Maybe IF it was guaranteed that the forms would be available on March 31st AND IF it was guaranteed that they would be working properly AND if I had nothing else to do, I might be able to get it all done by April 18th.  I think my new best friend is going to be Form 4868.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Will the 4868 be ready by April 18th? 🤣

Slava Ukraini!