Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I unlock an efile that has not been accepted or rejected by the IRS

Level 7

I efiled a return for a parent ,no knowing they had accidentally filed a return for their young daughter claiming herself.  I had them do an amendment on their daughters stating parents can claim her.  The state came back rejected stating that they can't process the return since the federal has not ACCEPTED or REJECTED the return.   How do i get the Federal to do one or the other so i can resubmit this?  It's like it is locked..it won't let me re-efile the return.. states the irs has received it.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
Level 15
Level 15

You'll have to wait for the fed to reject.  Try highlighting the return in the EFCenter, then instead of using Receive Acks, choose Update Acks of selected returns, see if that pulls it in.

Just an FYI, it will be months and months before the kids amendment is processed and the parent will be able to EFile....it may be quicker to just mail the parents return  on paper.