Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I tell which child's name and social security doesn't match the IRS's records

shf1957
Level 7

I have a client with 7 children ,which are all foster children.  It's been reject 3x   trying to correct the issue but don't seem to be able to figure out which child?

I went to the efile rejection high lighter their folder.... printed it etc... trying to find the "Discription field"   PLEASE tell me how I figure this out...Please.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.   

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
ljr
Level 8

the reject has a number next to the dependent that will tell you which child is wrong 

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
Dusty2
Level 7

Usually in the error message is a (X) with the X being a number. Normally that points to the incorrect information.

Dusty

rcooley25
Level 11

Check their social security card.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

The foster parents will have or can get the proper documentation with children’s proper names and SSNs. Get it from them… you’re required to have it in your files anyway.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
BobKamman
Level 15

Does it make a tax difference, if you claim only six?  And if not, are you just trying to figure out which one is causing the problem so you can delete it?  Most likely, a real parent or other relative has already filed using the correct name and SSN.

I don't keep copies of kids' Social Security cards.   Come arrest me.  

rcooley25
Level 11

Okay. You are under arrest.

You have the right to remain silent

Any thing you say can be used against you in a court of law.

You are entitled to have an attorney present.

If you can't afford one Iron man will provide one for you.

ljr
Level 8

the reject has a number next to the dependent that will tell you which child is wrong 

shf1957
Level 7

Explain to me where anyone would be seeing a number next to a social security number.

Though the reject error is   R000-504-02    is that the number you are talking about?

0 Cheers
shf1957
Level 7

when I go to the reject area    high light it and also print it... it looks the same as what I submitted.. no changes.. no ? question marks... nothing highlighted to tell me which one.

0 Cheers
shf1957
Level 7

Really?   Where's the X... or the ?    The question is WHERE is the DEPENDENT DETAIL  they say to look for?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Go to the EF Center, select the Rejected Tab, click on the Rejected (it's in red) in the EF Status column

That will open a report that shows rejection explanation.   Look for the Description line and Dependent Detail [x].     X will be a number that correlates to the rejected dependent.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This rejection report actually explains how to tell which dependent is the stinker

rejection.jpg

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪