Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I correct my dependent status on the 1040x. I am a dependent on my parents return but did not check the dependent box on my original 1040

geri39
Level 2

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

...as @abctax55  said, you'll have to file 1040x for the kid.  Even after accepted I doubt you'll be able to efile parents return claiming the kid...

file kids 1040x electronically if you can; then paper file parents return enclosing a copy of the kids amendment and explanation.  

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15

Greetings New User - ,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support of the not so professional .

Have a wonderful day!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
geri39
Level 2

I am a professional tax preparer and posted for a client of mine!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Your phrasing indicated otherwise....

Kid's return has to be amended to fix the "I'm someone else's dependent".  May/may not have any tax consequences.

Once that amendment is processed by the IRS, you can than file the parent's return.  But, it's going to take a while for the amendment to be processed.  You may want to paper file the parent's return claiming the dependent.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
taxes96786
Level 9

If you are a pro you should know the answer.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Are you asking how to amend a return? 

Or are you asking where the checkbox is to show that you're being claimed by someone else.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

...as @abctax55  said, you'll have to file 1040x for the kid.  Even after accepted I doubt you'll be able to efile parents return claiming the kid...

file kids 1040x electronically if you can; then paper file parents return enclosing a copy of the kids amendment and explanation.  

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
geri39
Level 2

Thank you Skylane,  just the answer I needed.

0 Cheers