Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head of Household - unmarried couple with a child who are living together

runbullrun
Level 3

I have 2 new clients. They had a child together in 2020 and are living together but not married. The mother is claiming the child as a dependent. However, the father pays most of the bills in the home. Is it possible for him to claim Head of Household? All the rules I read around Head of Household is "you must have a qualifying child". I'm a little fuzzy on "must have a qualifying child" and "must actually claim" a qualifying child. Is it possible for one to claim the child as a dependent and the other (not both) to claim Head of Household? One of the reasons I ask is ProSeries next to checkbox for  Head of Household Filing status - "If Qualified person is child but not a dependent". 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
runbullrun
Level 3

Thank You. It did answer my question - here was my result - the last paragraph answered the question. 

Sometimes, a child meets the relationship, age, residency, support and joint return test to be a qualifying child of more than one person. Although the child is a qualifying child of each of these persons, only one person can actually treat the child as a qualifying child to take all of the following tax benefits (provided the person is eligible for each benefit).

• The child tax credit;
  • Head of household filing status;
  • The credit for child and dependent care expenses;
  • The exclusion from income for dependent care benefits; and
  • The earned income credit.

You cannot take any of these benefits based on the person unless you claim that person as a dependent. In other words, you and another person cannot divide these tax benefits for the person between you.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

First you might want to use this tool 

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/whom-may-i-claim-as-a-dependent

and determine who is "entitled" to claim the child as a dependent.

then use this one https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/what-is-my-filing-status to determine filing status.

runbullrun
Level 3

Thank You. It did answer my question - here was my result - the last paragraph answered the question. 

Sometimes, a child meets the relationship, age, residency, support and joint return test to be a qualifying child of more than one person. Although the child is a qualifying child of each of these persons, only one person can actually treat the child as a qualifying child to take all of the following tax benefits (provided the person is eligible for each benefit).

• The child tax credit;

You cannot take any of these benefits based on the person unless you claim that person as a dependent. In other words, you and another person cannot divide these tax benefits for the person between you.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Here is an IRS link, with topics and bookmark links:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/get-ready-for-taxes-bookmark-irsgov-resources-and-online-tools-to-use-b...

There are Interactive Tax Wizards accessed there, such as Filing Status and Dependents and various Credits.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

Just out of curiosity, what was your conclusion on the specifics you mentioned?

runbullrun
Level 3

That only one person can actually treat the child as a qualifying child to take all of the following tax benefits (provided the person is eligible for each benefit).

• The child tax credit;

If you have any other thoughts on the matter I welcome them. 

Thanks, Gregg

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

They both need to file as single and since they are not married she would still qualify for all those other benefits you listed as long as both the mother and father are agreeable.  If not, then the tiebreaker rules apply and the father would get the exemption and file head of household and mother single not claiming child.