Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FORM 8936 ENERGY CREDIT

CONNIEL
Level 2

I have two vehicles on a the 8936 but it tells me one of them is a duplicate vin number when it is not - anyone else have this trouble? 

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

What exactly is telling you that it is a duplicate?

Is the program saying that when you enter it?  Or did you e-file and the IRS rejection says that?  If it is the IRS e-file rejection that is saying that, is this a brand-new vehicle?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You get that message in the program or you get a rejection from IRS with that message?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
CONNIEL
Level 2

The tax program is telling me it is a duplicate 

0 Cheers
CONNIEL
Level 2

Yes it is a brand new rivian 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Maybe try deleting the 8936s and enter them again?

Does it give you that error if you ONLY enter that vehicle, and not the other vehicle?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Are Rivians bought in 2022 eligible?  Or are they one of the ones that begin in 2023?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
CONNIEL
Level 2

I’ve checked it is an eligible vehicle 

taxes96786
Level 9

Have you tried doing separate forms for each vehicle?

0 Cheers
ln
Level 2

I have the same issue!

By client with 2 vehicles of the same make

0 Cheers
CONNIEL
Level 2

I deleted the other vehicle (Ford Mustang) and now this is the duplicate VIN # so it is not the VIN # - it is something with the form or the program that is giving me this error - has anyone been able to complete two forms without getting this error?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It sounds like a software error, so maybe @IntuitBettyJo  may be able to comment if it is being worked on or not.

0 Cheers
CONNIEL
Level 2

That is my post and my problem.  Yes

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Please note that this is the same person asking about the same issue (duplciate posting) here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/re-form-8936-energy-cre...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers