Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8936 credit for used EV

pfeifferacct
Level 2

I am having problem with the EV credit for a used vehicle.  Everything calculates correctly, but the $4,000 credit doesn't flow to line 6m of Schedule 3 as it should.  Anyone else experiencing this?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im running a dummy form for a used one now...and it flows fine as well.    You must be checking a box wrong, or something....that credit lands on Sch 3  Line 6m

Start over with  a fresh form and see if it works better

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
deb4
Level 3

I am having the same flow problem.  The $7500 credit is not flowing to line 6f of Schedule 3.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I did one with a Tesla Model Y yesterday and everything flowed perfect, and landed right where it should, so Im thinking you have a data entry problem, not a program problem.

Using the 8936A worksheet, Line 8 needs to be  Yes (I think that may be where people go wrong, it mentions lease to others, but it says did you acquire the vehicle for use OR to lease to others, I had to read it out loud, I saw that word lease and immediately thought that should be No), and then YOU have to enter the credit in Line 9 then the figure flows to Line 12 and Sch 3.

0 Cheers
deb4
Level 3

Form 8936 line 13 has the $7500 credit and it says it should flow to Sch 3 line 6f

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It works fine for me with a new 2023Tesla, I havent had anyone with a used one yet, so Im not sure how that works.   

I even tried it on a dummy return with no make model or VIN just punching in the year and checking the boxes it flows to the 8936 Line 13 and  to Sch 3 just fine for me

Maybe delete the 8936 and 8936A forms and start over from scratch?

0 Cheers
pfeifferacct
Level 2

I mentioned it in my original post, this is for the used EV credit of $4,000, not the new car credit.  Anyone having issues with that?

0 Cheers
deb4
Level 3

Starting over was the key.  Thank you 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im running a dummy form for a used one now...and it flows fine as well.    You must be checking a box wrong, or something....that credit lands on Sch 3  Line 6m

Start over with  a fresh form and see if it works better

pfeifferacct
Level 2

Deleting all related forms and starting from scratch did the trick.  I input the raw data back in January, before several updates.  I didn't change anything from my original answers, but starting from scratch worked.  Thanks.

cantontaxgroup
Level 3

Thanks for this. The return had been rejected because I tried an overrride and couldn't figure out why it wasn't flowing the way it should. I deleted the form and started over and it went through.

0 Cheers