Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8903 says it won't be available until 3/31 but farm returns are due 3/1. Can't find a work around for DPAD deductions without the 8903. What do we do?

sstreit
Level 2

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Lukepccpa
Level 3

If you're trying to enter the DPAD from a cooperative off of a Form 1099-PATR, don't use the Form 8903.  Enter it in the smart worksheet on Schedule F below question G.  That will populate it to the Form 8995A

If you're trying to flow the cooperative DPAD deduction from a partnership K-1 onto your return, go way down on the K-1 worksheet to Section D2 line K.

There is also a similar line on the S corporation K-1 worksheet if flowing the DPAD from an S corporation. .

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Heck, I have no idea if this will work but might be worth a try.

• Print out your not ready to file 8903
  • Fill out the IRS online PDF of 8903 and print it out
  • Override any place on the return that the 8903 carries to
  • attach a PDF of the 8903 you printed from the IRS
  • Turn off error checking
  • Transmit and pray.

I'm considering trying the same thing with a 6252, when I get closer to 3-1

0 Cheers
Lukepccpa
Level 3

If you're trying to enter the DPAD from a cooperative off of a Form 1099-PATR, don't use the Form 8903.  Enter it in the smart worksheet on Schedule F below question G.  That will populate it to the Form 8995A

If you're trying to flow the cooperative DPAD deduction from a partnership K-1 onto your return, go way down on the K-1 worksheet to Section D2 line K.

There is also a similar line on the S corporation K-1 worksheet if flowing the DPAD from an S corporation. .

mstrommer
Level 2

I would say that the Form 8903 that isn't available till 3/31 was the "old" way of reporting DPAD.

Going thru the smart worksheets below the Schedule F will flow thru till you get a 8995 Sch C and then a Schedule D for Patron to report the deduction on the 1040 level and avoid using the Form 8903 completely.

Is that  how you see it?

Lukepccpa
Level 3

Yes.  Form 8903 was the "old way".  Nobody should be using Form 8903 any more. 

DPAD is dead except for cooperatives passing it through to their patrons on Form 1099-PATR and partnerships/S corps that receive a Form 1099-PATR passing it on to their partners/shareholders.

Everything flows through the Form 8995A from the smart worksheets on Schedule F and the K-1 worksheets if you're dealing with a DPAD from a cooperative.

sstreit
Level 2

Thank you, this is very helpful.  Appreciate the quick response!

0 Cheers
sstreit
Level 2

Thank you for the response, this is helpful!

0 Cheers