Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8332, Release of Claim for Child... I attached this signed form to the tax return and it got bounced back by the IRS because, I suspect, the mother had already,

chapguy19
Level 4
by mistake.
What are my options now?  Do I have to send the paper copy in?
Thanks, Christopher
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 13

I'll be confused. Your client claimed the child and attached the signed 8332 from the other parent, releasing the dependent to your client, and it was bounced?

Why, because the other parent already claimed the child, in opposition to the signed release 8332?

If the signed parent filed and claimed wrongly, your client has to paper file and provide support to prove that your client deserved the dependent, such as divorce decree and support agreement.

That still doesn't guarantee that your client will win. It won't be the first time someone claimed improperly.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

When IRS rejects a return they give a reason.

Ex-AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You have a couple of options. You can mail it in, and let the IRS fix it. You can remove the dependent, and have your client have his/her lawyer straighten it out.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

I'll be confused. Your client claimed the child and attached the signed 8332 from the other parent, releasing the dependent to your client, and it was bounced?

Why, because the other parent already claimed the child, in opposition to the signed release 8332?

If the signed parent filed and claimed wrongly, your client has to paper file and provide support to prove that your client deserved the dependent, such as divorce decree and support agreement.

That still doesn't guarantee that your client will win. It won't be the first time someone claimed improperly.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
chapguy19
Level 4

Thank you for your quick response.

I came to the same conclusion.

It's going to be months before this is resolved but it is what it is.

Again, thanks,

Christopher

0 Cheers