Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing Back Taxes in Pro Series

RM4
Level 2

Hi All,

I have been preparing taxes for a young lady for a number of years and she just got married in 2021.  When I asked for her husbands last two years of tax returns, he stated he hasn't filed since 2017.  I was previously using Pro Series Basis until 2021, now I'm using Pro Series Professional.  Here are my questions:

1.  I cannot e-file 2018, should I update 2019 and 2020 Pro Series Basis to Pro Series Professional, in order, to e-file them?

2.  The husband never received any stimulus checks, since he hasn't filed taxes since 2018.  He was making within the wage limit for the stimulus checks until 2021.  The combined 2021 AGI for this married couple is $161K.  The 2021 Pro Series is stating they are not eligible for the stimulus.  I had created a 2021 Pro Series customer file prior to knowing that he hasn't filed back taxes.  I'm wondering, if I use the 2018 Pro Series customer file for the husband and transfer it year to year, if he would be eligible for the stimulus in 2021. 

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I'm wondering, if I use the 2018 Pro Series customer file for the husband and transfer it year to year, if he would be eligible for the stimulus in 2021."

This process isn't going to change their AGI. If you find they don't qualify for EIP 3, you also likely will find she got some EIP for herself, right?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.