Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

farmer's March 1st filing date

bheizer
Level 4

I do not have my farmers file estimated taxes therefore their returns are due March 1st.  BUT, form 8903 and some other forms will not be ready until 3/31.....Does anyone else have this problem?  I called ProSeries and was advised that their hands are tied.  IRS will not let them finalized these forms before 3/31.

Does anyone know if IRS will impose penalities for farmers who can't file until 3/31 due to it being an IRS problem?  Any advice???

Thanks,

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
mstrommer
Level 2

We have farmers as well...my level of frustration is out the top of my head.  I spoke with someone tonight about the Form 8903 and I was told to call the IRS...now that's a laugh!! They haven't answered their phones in months.

Plus the 2210-F final date as been pushed out to 2/24/22.

I am thinking about giving the client their voucher's to mail there checks in on or before March 1, 2022.

The news said this tax year would be bad...I should have known it would be a disaster.

Good luck from Arkansas!

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@bheizer wrote:

BUT, form 8903 ...  I called ProSeries and was advised that their hands are tied. 

For the most part, that is a complete lie.  Form 8903 is finalized by the IRS, so it is Intuit that is delaying things.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8903.pdf

bheizer
Level 4

I'm not sure....I just talked to friend that uses a different software and they are getting same message....but she couldn't tell me the date it would be ready.

I wrote to my senator and asked him to look into giving farmers an extension on filing.  I'm going to have any of my farm client that owe to send money in with voucher by March 1st.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I would recommend they get proof of mailing for those payments or even better have they pay through IRS Direct Pay since return will most likely be filed after March 1st.  Made need to prove to IRS that payment wasn't late just because return is after deadline.

bheizer
Level 4

good idea  thanks

BobKamman
Level 15

Do you give your farmers any choice in the matter?

0 Cheers
bheizer
Level 4

Yes some choose to file estimated tax but the others choose to file and pay by March 1. Due to forms 8903 and 4136 not being ready.......have a real problem.  

And in one case the state is ready and farmer owes but can't file because it won't let me file state without the federal.

0 Cheers
mstrommer
Level 2

Of course, we will discuss the situation with the farmer that has DPAD, not all farmers use cooperatives.

Our farmers are out in the fields now getting the fields ready for Spring and we are waiting on them just to bring their information in...government slips just were mailed out to the farmers...that have been one hold up...tying a farmer down to make estimated tax payments wouldn't be easy during the year.

They think about crops and getting grain to the market, and we worry about the rest.

This 8903 is just going to be a bottleneck to get through!!!!

0 Cheers
mstrommer
Level 2

January 15th's ship has already sailed to pay their tax and not file their by March 1st.

0 Cheers
bheizer
Level 4

I talked to fellow accountant that uses a different software. She ran the 1099PATR, line 6 through her sofrware and instead of taking the figure to the form 8903 (which is obsolete) it took it to form 8995-A, line 38.  I talked to ProSeries and explained the problem and hoping they will fix the Sch F to take it straight to form 8995-A instead of form 8903.

Maybe if some other accountants called in and told them same thing, they will get it figured out.

Thanks for all the input.