Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excess SS Payments on my W2s is not being added to my refund

rpbestcpa
Level 1

My excess SS payments taken from my 2 W2s is not being added to my refund . Why ?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5

Could be many reasons.

By chance, are both W-2 forms showing the same EIN, as in a situation where one employer is the agent for the other?

rpbestcpa
Level 1

Yes !

0 Cheers
rpbestcpa
Level 1

Yes that was the problem. I changed one digit in the EIN just  to see if that was the problem and it was. So now what do I do about that ? I have to put the correct EIN. Will Intuit automatically adjust ?

0 Cheers
rpbestcpa
Level 1

I finally saw where I needed to input the excess SS paid. Thank You !

0 Cheers

I am glad you figured it out.  The program just looks at the EIN and assumes it is the same employer, in which case you have to get the refund from the employer.  But if it is an agent situation, you have to enter the correct amounts on the 1040 worksheet.  Then I would attach as a PDF your supporting documentation showing that it is an agent situation and also make sure the W-2 input indicates it is an agent situation or IRS is going to bounce it and it will take a really long time to straighten it out, as IRS doesn't understand it themselves.

0 Cheers