Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error message "Not eligible for electronic filing"

DennisP
Level 1

After the April 20, 2023 update was posted to my version of ProSeries, my clinets who live and work overseas are receiving an error message that says my client's federal tax return is not eligble for electroic filingbecause,

The tax withheld of $4,760 as shown on Form 1040 is gteater than or equal to $1723, the sum of income from the dfollowing sources:

Form 1040, line 1z + Form 1040, lone 2b + Form 1040, line 3b + Form 1040, line 4b + Form 1040, line 5b + Form 1040, line 6a +Form 1040, Schedule 1, line 7 = Form 1040, Schedule 1, line 9 + Schedule C line 1.

These instructions will always result in a lower 1040, line 9 because of the use of the foregn earned income exlcusion which is a negative number on Schedule 1 line 8d, which then results in a negative or very small number on Schedule 1 line 9.

Then it states that these rules are set by the IRS Electronic Tax Admiistration  And that my client's living and kworking overseas will have to file by paper.  This is not making filing a tax return easier but much more cumbersome.

Either your programer misunderstood the IRS rules or the IRS is making it very difficult for thousands of US citizens working abroad to file an electronic tax return.

Can you help please?????

A very frustrated customer.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
Ron-the-taxman
Level 1

WERE THERE ANY HELP REPLIES TO THIS ERROR MESSAGE?

0 Cheers