Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enter S Corp Shareholder Medical Premiums

dsocpa
Level 5

Taxpayer was a 2% greater S Corp shareholder-employee.  Insurance was purchased through the exchange in the state in which they were living at the time.  There were 2 1095-A forms issued due to relocation from MD to SC.  I link to the K-1 with the dates coverage was provided at the bottom.

On the K-1 under "Outside Expenses" line 1 I entered 0 since all premiums were reported on one of the 1095-A forms.  Line 2 I enter the amount of Medicare wages on the W2 box 5. Then I QuickZoom to the SE HI deduction wksht.  On the wksht the amount of SE HI paid is shown correctly as $13,717.  Form 7206 shows the correct amount.  

When I get to the 1040 line 17 SE HI deduction is showing as $31934 (no idea how where that amount comes from).  The only way I've been able to get the correct amount to show up on line 17 of the 1040 is to override and put the correct amount in.  I've spent hours trying to straighten this out.  Does anyone know how to get the correct amount of the premiums paid onto 1040 line 17 besides overriding?  If so please respond.  Thanks!!

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
qbteachmt
Level 15

"On the K-1 under "Outside Expenses" line 1 I entered 0 since all premiums were reported on one of the 1095-A forms.  Line 2 I enter the amount of Medicare wages on the W2 box 5. Then I QuickZoom to the SE HI deduction wksht.  On the wksht the amount of SE HI paid is shown correctly as $13,717.  Form 7206 shows the correct amount.

When I get to the 1040 line 17 SE HI deduction is showing as $31934 (no idea how where that amount comes from)."

That's a lot of data to follow virtually. Did the insurance premium get correctly reported on the W2 and handled specifically as ">2% shareholder medical ins premium" and did that get entered into the W2 worksheet as such?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Giving @TaxGuyBill a nod, here:

"You need to first determine if they qualify for the Self Employed Health Insurance deduction, and if so, enter the amount on the K-1 worksheet (and don't forget to enter the the Box 5 amount from the W-2 onto that K-1 worksheet as well).  The Quickzoom to the right area is right above Box 1 of the K-1."

I gather the W2 info first, so I tend to start there.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

Thank you TaxGuy.  I did all the steps you mentioned - I've actually been doing the SE health for clients for years.  This is the first time I've had so many issues.

To make matters worse, MD put on the 1095-A the client was covered in MD during July.  SC has them covered in July.  SC is correct MD is not.  I told the client he needs to have MD correct the 1095-A form.  

0 Cheers