Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic payment withdrawn a day late

nancy2
Level 5

Just wondering how the electronic payment actually works.  What I mean is, whose responsibility is it once the return is filed.  I filed an Alabama trust return for someone with the correct withdrawal date.  It was withdrawn a day late and now the state has sent a notice with a late payment penalty.  Who is at fault?  The state or the software?  The federal payment was correctly withdrawn on the date indicated in the software.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Taxtime3
Level 3

Yes.  That is correct.  I hope that helped.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Taxtime3
Level 3

Not sure how Alabama works, but Virginia always pulls payments 1-2 days late (historically 2).  As long as the settlement date is setup for the due date (or before), it is considered timely paid no matter when the state pulls it.  I would reach out the state department of taxation and show evidence that the payment was setup to pull on the due date.  Federal payments typically come out on the settlement date .  At least that is my experience.

nancy2
Level 5

So that sounds like you are saying that once filed and accepted by the state, it is their responsibility to take it on the correct date.  Do I understand that correctly?

The penalty is small.  So probably I will just try to remember to put the date a few days early next time.  It just makes it look bad on my end to the client... know what I mean?   

0 Cheers
Taxtime3
Level 3

Yes.  That is correct.  I hope that helped.